The main square of the Georgian capital, now referred to as the Freedom Square, has been the center-stage for major dramatic events from the recent history. Back when the Russian 11th Red Army Corps staged a parade to celebrate invasion of Georgia, the square looked completely different—with merchant Tamamshev’s caravanserai at its center. On April 12, 1851, this Mauritanian-style building became home to the first opera house in the Caucasus.
In the 1920s, the way the scenography system functioned was determined by new “aesthetic discoveries”. The immediate connection between stage design and the processes taking place in the realm of fine arts contributed to the introduction of avant-garde.
Film industry in Georgia emerged soon after the first moving pictures were shown in Paris in 1895. Georgian audience already had possibility to watch Lumiere brothers’ films in Tbilisi, just year and a half later of their initial screening.