/
menu
/

Ketevan Mikeladze

Dr. Ketevan Mikeladze (ქეთევან მიქელაძე) graduated from the Tbilisi State Academy of Fine Arts, Department of the History and Theory of Art. 1985-2006 she worked as a researcher at the the G. Chubinashvili Institute for Georgian Art History. Since 2006 she works 

at George Chubinashvili National Research Centre for Georgian Art History and Heritage Preservation in the position of chief researcher.  

Dr. Mikeladze is a scholar with rich experience in academic research of Medieval Georgian art, especially regarding the wall paintings. She is a leading expert in the field of preservation of medieval wall painting as well.    

She is an author of several publications: 

  • Greek Painters from 14th to 17th centuries in Georgia. Inscriptions as Testimony, Byzantinoslavica, ISSN 0007-7712, Vol. 79, Nº. 1-2, 2021,

  • Significance of the Painters’ Inscriptions for the Study of the Medieval Georgian Mural Painting (in Georgian, English abstracts), Georgian Antiquities, 20, 2017

  • The Jakeli Portraits (in Georgian, English abstracts), Georgian Antiquities,18, 2015

Articles

28/02/2024

PORTRAITS OF QUEEN TAMAR ("KING OF KINGS")

Tamar is referred to as King and not Queen in the inscriptions accompanying the portraits, which makes her equal to the King (a man). (Only in the Betania inscription is she referred to as both King and Queen, which might be the result of later renovations).

28/02/2024

WALL PAINTINGS OF ST. GEORGE AT UBISI MONASTERY

Ubisi monastery was founded in the 9th century by Grigol Khandzteli – a prominent cleric and founder of numerous monasteries in Georgia. The monastery comprises several buildings, the earliest of which is the single nave church of St. George dating from the 9th century (the annexes of the church are from a later period).

28/02/2024

WALL PAINTINGS OF THE CHURCH OF THE VIRGIN AT NEKRESI MONASTERY

Nekresi Monastery, which is one of the oldest monasteries in Georgia, is located in Kakheti, Eastern Georgia. It was erected on top of a hill, on the site of an ancient settlement, and boasts magnificent panoramic views overlooking the vast Alazani valley and the Caucasus Mountains.

28/02/2024

NIKORTSMINDA CHURCH OF ST. NICOLAS

The Church of St. Nicholas stands on a small elevation in the village of Nikortsminda (Racha region). According to the inscription on the west façade, it was built in the latter years (1010-1014) of the reign of King Bagrat III (975–1014). The Church is preserved in almost original condition, though traces of the restoration that was carried out in the 16th century are evident on its façades.

28/02/2024

WALL PAINTINGS OF SAPARA MONASTERY

The monastery in Sapara has existed since the 10th century. The single-nave church of the Dormition of the Virgin belongs to this period. From the second half of the 13th century, Sapara became the residence and burial place of the Jakeli: the Rulers (Atabags) of Samtskhe (a historical region of south-western Georgia).

28/02/2024

GELATI MONASTERY

Gelati Monastery is one of the most important monuments of Georgian cultural heritage. The Monastery is located on a mountain slope on the outskirts of Gelati village, near Kutaisi in western Georgia. It was founded in 1106 by King Davit IV Aghmashenebeli (the Builder, 1089-1125) as a royal burial vault and a religious and educational centre, and was referred to in historical sources as a “Second Jerusalem” and a “New Athens”.

28/02/2024

THE WALL PAINTINGS AT THE CHURCH OF ST. CYRICUS AND ST. JULIA (LAGURKA) IN KALA

The Church of St. Cyricus and Julitta, known as Lagurka, is the most venerated church in Upper Svaneti (a mountainous north-western region of Georgia). July 28th, the commemoration day of the Holy Martyrs St. Cyricus and St. Julitta, is one of the main religious feasts in Svaneti, and is celebrated every year at Lagurka Church. The locals call this feast Kvirikoba (the day of St. Cyricus).

28/02/2024

WALL PAINTINGS OF THE CHURCH OF THE ARCHANGELS AT IPRARI

The Church of the Archangels at Iprari is one of the three churches painted and signed by the royal painter Tevdore. The Iprari as well as two other churches: St. Cyricus (Lagurka) and the church of St. George at Nakipari are located in Upper Svaneti (north-west mountainous region of Georgia) not far from each other.

28/02/2024

WALL PAINTINGS AT THE CHURCH OF ST. GEORGE IN NAKIPARI

The Church of St. George is situated in Nakipari village in the mountainous region of Upper Svaneti. It is the third church with wall paintings (1130) that were signed by the King’s painter Tevdore. Earlier, Tevdore had painted the Church of the Archangels at Iprari and Lagurka (St. Cyricus and Julitta Church) Church in Kala (both of which are also located in Svaneti) in 1096 and 1112 respectively. All three wall paintings are accompanied with inscriptions written in ancient Georgian uncial script (asomtavruli) and refer to the commissioners – the ‘Aznaurs of Khevi’ (feudals of the valley), the exact date that the murals were painted, and the name and title of the painter. Similar to the inscription at Iprari Church, the text in Nakipari is inscribed on the cornice of the masonry chancel barrier.

AUTHORS AT ATINATI